Eclair is my favourite pastry and I am happy to say that I have made it on several occasions. I thought I had several pictures, since I make them on and off but I couldn’t find any. I know I said was going to post more cake recipes but I had to share this special recipe with all! The recipe is mine but the image isn’t.
For The Choux Pastry:
8 fl.oz Water
3 oz Butter ( unsalted) ( 85 g)
1/4 tsp Salt
Rich Cream Filling: ( you can also use butter cream to fill the eclairs, but I personally love this filling)
Whip cream (250 ml).
1/2 Cup chilled milk
5-6 tbsp Milkmaid Condensed Milk ( you can add more depending on how sweet you want the cream to be)
4 tsp Cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp Icing sugar
1/2 tsp Butter (optional) It comes out fine even if you don’t use butter so don’t worry!
2-3 tsp Water
1.Heat water and butter in a saucepan along with the salt on a medium flame. When the mixture begins to boil,add all the flour at once and stir with a wooden spoon. Mix the pastry well till the pastry forms one lump and leaves the sides of the saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely for about 20 minutes or until there’s no steam.
2. Once the pastry’s cooled add the eggs one at a time and beat until it forms a soft and creamy paste.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Using a piping bag pipe the pastry in the shape of a hot dog on a baking sheet. Use a 2/3 (2 cm) plain tip nozzle .
4. Bake the eclairs for 10 minutes at 450 degrees and then at 375 for 15 minutes. The eclairs should be golden and crisp.
5. Turn them onto a wire rack and then slit one side to allow the steam to escape.
6. While the eclairs are baking whip the milk and whip cream together until it forms peaks. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well.
7. For the chocolate glaze topping mix all the ingredients together till it forms a medium thick syrup like consistency.
8. Fill the eclairs with the rich cream filling and the top with the glaze icing.