1 1/2 pounds (about 3 large) leeks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
12 ounces all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cans (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 sprig (plus 1 tablespoon chopped) fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1.Cut off roots and trim dark green tops from leeks. Discard any tough outer leaves. Cut each leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Rinse leeks thoroughly in large bowl of cold water, swishing to remove sand. With hands, transfer leeks to colander to drain, leaving sand in bottom of bowl. Repeat process, changing water several times, until all sand is removed.
2.In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil and margarine on medium until margarine melts. Add leeks and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes, broth, dill sprig, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
3.Ladle potato mixture into blender in 3 batches; cover, with center part of lid removed to allow steam to escape. Lay a paper towel over top and blend until pureed. Pour each batch of puree into bowl. Return all puree to same saucepan. Stir in milk; heat through. Stir in chopped dill and lemon juice.
1 box (19.9 oz. each) brownie mix
3 ½ cups vanilla lowfat frozen yogurt
½ cup M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies
2 8-inch round cake pans
1. Prepare the cake pans by greasing them and lining the bottoms (not the sides) with wax paper.
2. Prepare brownie mix according to the package directions. Divide batter between the two prepared cake pans.
3. Bake according to the package directions. Remove and cool completely.
4. Run a small paring knife around the edges of each brownie, loosening it from the pan.
5. Invert one layer onto a cookie sheet, and spread vanilla ice cream on top, coming right to the edge (you can slightly soften the ice cream first).
6. Place the other brownie layer on top, and press gently to secure. Place in the freezer until firm, about 2 hours.
7. Just before serving, press M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies into the ice cream.
8. Cut into thin wedges and serve right away.
Recipe and Image from:
I received this article from a local newspaper here in Sri Lanka, as a forwarding e-mail from a family member. I thought I’d share it. I hope it’ll be useful to someone.
TO ALL WHO MAY LIKE TO READ THE PERSONAL ACCOUNT OF A CANCER PATIENT WHO SUCCEEDED IN CURING HERSELF, PLEASE READ THE ACCOUNT BELOW:
CURE FOR CANCER
All you are asked to do is keep this circulating, even if it’s only to one more person. In memory of anyone you know who has been struck down by cancer or is still living with it.
A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle..
Please Keep This Candle Going
1 Large ripe mango
6 Scoops vanilla ice cream
2 tbsp Thick cream
3 Passion fruits
1. Peel and dice a large ripe mango; whizz to a purée in a food processor. Add 6 scoops of vanilla ice cream and 2 tbsp thick cream and whizz again. Spoon into bowls and scoop ½ passion fruit over each.
2 tsp Olive oil
1 Large onion , chopped
2 tsp Cumin seeds
500g Lean minced beef
2 Garlic cloves , crushed
420g Can kidney beans in chilli sauce
400g Can chopped tomatoes
1 kg Parsnips , peeled and chopped into chunks
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion with 1 tsp cumin for a few mins. Push the onion to the edge of the pan, add the beef, then brown well, breaking up the lumps as you go. Add the garlic, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and half a can of water, season and cover, then simmer for 20 mins.
2. Meanwhile, cook the parsnips in boiling salted water until tender, drain well, then mash with some freshly milled black pepper and a little salt. Heat the grill to high. Tip the chilli mince into a large ovenproof dish, spoon over the mash, scatter with the remaining cumin seeds, then grill for 5 mins until golden.
If you don’t have kidney beans in chilli sauce, just add a 400g can kidney beans, drained, 50g chopped roasted peppers, and 2 tsp mild chilli powder.
¼ Cucumber , halved and sliced
¼ Iceberg lettuce , shredded
2 Spring onions , sliced
Handful mint leaves, torn
4 Plain small naan bread
140g Cooked chicken tikka pieces
Natural yogurt to serve
1. Toss all the salad vegetables together. Heat the naan breads in the microwave on Medium for 1 min until puffed up. Remove the breads. Tip the tikka pieces into a bowl and give them a quick blast in the microwave to heat through. Split the breads in half and stuff with the salad, chicken and a spoonful of yogurt.
Make it Thai-style:
Use sweet chilli or lime and coriander chicken pieces or mini fillets instead of tikka, and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce to serve.