- 1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces and skin removed
- 3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne
- 3 tablespoon(s) cooking oil
1. Light the grill. Using a sharp knife, cut shallow incisions in the chicken pieces at about 1/2-inch intervals. In a large, glass dish or stainless-steel pan, combine the lemon juice, water, salt and turmeric. Add the chicken pieces 1. and turn to coat. Let the chicken pieces marinate for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and cayenne. Add to the chicken and lemon mixture; turn to coat. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, basting with oil, for 10 minutes. Turn and cook, basting with the remaining oil, until just done, about 10 minutes longer for the breasts, 12 for the thighs and drumsticks.